Africa: The second largest continent across the globe both in terms of Area and Population, is home to a total of 54 countries. Among these 54 nations, including Somalia every country is different from the others. The continent plays host to hundreds of different cultures. These cultures are exclusive and unique to each country and, in several cases, each specific region.
Meanwhile, Different countries of Africa have different fascinating stories about their origin, history and significance in the world. Here are some interesting facts about one of the most interesting nations in Africa. Firstly, the country shares borders with Kenya, Ethiopia, the Gulf of Eden and The Indian Ocean.
Some Facts About the country and the people of Somalia
1. Mo Farah, one of the most successful Olympic athletes in the United Kingdom, Britain, is from Somalia. He was born in Mogadishu city of Somalia, in the year 1983. He moved to the UK at the age of eight years in 1991.
2. Additionally, this is the easternmost country in Africa. It is located in what is known as the Horn of Africa
3. Notably, England’s first female Muslim football referee is originally from Somalia.
4. Additionally, the country has a very simple flag with a white star on a light blue background.
5. At over 800kg, Somalia is home to the largest Camel Species in Africa.
6. The country is the owner of 3,333 km of coastline. Accordingly, it has the longest coastline on Africa’s mainland. It is the only country in the African continent with more coastline is the island of Madagascar.
7. Meanwhile Somalia Has One Of The Highest Fertility Rates In The World.
8. Additionally, Somalia Has One Of Africa’s Lowest HIV Infection Rates.
9. Further Madagascar got its name from Mogadishu. This is a city in Somalia.
10. Finally, This country was the first African nation used for flying warplanes by the British.