Read Here: Top Ten Nations of Africa Ranked by Alcohol Consumption

Africa: Recently, the World Health Organization published some statistics where they performed an in-depth analysis of Alcohol Consumption. Accordingly, The study suggests that Alcohol consumption is a high trend in the world's second-largest continent, Africa.

Africa: Recently, the World Health Organization published some statistics where they performed an in-depth analysis of Alcohol Consumption. Accordingly, The study suggests that Alcohol consumption is a high trend in the world’s second-largest continent, Africa.

Accordingly, The top ten African countries ranked according to their alcohol consumption per person aged 15 and up in 2022:

Advertisement

10. Botswana – 8.46 litres p.a
The researchers attribute Botswana’s high alcohol consumption rate to St Louis. This is the country’s relatively inexpensive and widely available national beer. Meanwhile, this beer has a low alcohol content, ranging from 3.5% to 4.7%.

9. Gabon – 10.32 litres p.a
Gabonians prefer wine (12%), spirits (20%), and beer (68%). Meanwhile, Rehab is the most affordable and popular beer. Experts also suggest that if you enjoy alcoholic beverages, Gabon is the place to be. This is because it has the cheapest alcoholic drinks in Africa.

8. South Africa – 11.46 litres p.a
Despite being one of the world’s largest wine producers, beer is preferred by the vast majority of South Africans, with Castle and Black Level being the most popular brands.
Beer (48%), wine (18%), spirits (17%), and other brands (17%) are the most popular alcoholic beverages.

7. Burundi – 11.23 litres p.a
Burundians drink very little wine or liquor. Meanwhile, Other locally produced beverages are preferred by 81%, with beer coming in second at 19%. Their signature drink is urwarwa or banana wine.

6. Namibia – 11.62 litres p.a
Beer accounts for 67% of all alcohol consumed in Namibia. Additionally, spirits account for 20%, wine accounting for 7%. Meanwhile, other locally brewed beverages accounting for 6%. Windhoek Lager is their most popular alcoholic beverage.

5. Rwanda – 11.90-litre p.a
Beer makes up 8% of the total, with the remaining 92% comprising homemade alcoholic beverages such as Ugwagwa (banana beer) and Ibuki Ikigagee (a fermented honey drink made from dry sorghum).

Advertisement

4. Kenya – 12.21 litres p.a
Tusker Beer is Kenya’s most popular beer brand. Accordingly, the beverage accounts for 43% of total sales.

3. Uganda – 13.93 litres p.a
Beer makes up 4% of total alcohol consumption. Meanwhile, wine makes up 2%, and locally brewed brands make up 94%. Uganda Waragi is Uganda’s most popular alcoholic brand, with a 42% alcohol content, making it one of the world’s most alcoholic spirits.

2. Cameroon – 15.65 litres p.a
Cameroonians adore locally brewed spirits. Although a small percentage of Cameroonians drink wine, it is not comparable to beer consumption.

1. Nigeria – 18.28-litre p.a
Beer constitutes 16% of all alcoholic beverages consumed in Nigeria. Meanwhile, Other locally brewed drinks contain 84% alcohol, with the most well-known alcoholic beverage, Ogogoro, including 30% to 60% alcohol.

Latest articles

Related articles