Dark Matter: Researchers propose repurposing tabletop sensors

Scientists believe in the existence of dark matter. However, after more than 50 years of searching, they still have no direct evidence to prove this mysterious substance. Swati Singh leads in Delaware University is one of a small group of researchers in the dark matter world who want to know if they are looking for the right dark matter. “What will happen if dark matter is much brighter than expected in conventional particle physics experiments?” said Singh, who is an assistant professor of electrical computer engineering at UD.

Singh explained that when you add up all luminous objects (such as stars, planets, and interstellar gas), they account for only 15% of the universe’s matter. The remaining 85% is called dark matter. It does not emit light, but researchers know that its existence is due to its gravitational force. They also know that there are unusual things such as gas, dust, stars, planets and us.

Advertisement

One possibility is also there that dark matter is composed of dark photons. Dark matter is a kind of dark matter that exerts a weak oscillating force on normal matter and causes particles to move back and forth. However, because dark matter is ubiquitous, it exerts this force on any object, making this movement difficult to measure. Singh and his colleagues believe that by using optomechanical accelerometers as sensors to detect and amplify this swing, they can overcome this obstacle.

The researchers proposed an experiment that used a silicon nitride film and a solid-state beryllium mirror to reflect light between two surfaces. When the distance between the two materials changes, the researchers learned from the reflected light that there are dark photons. Because silicon nitride and beryllium definitely have different material properties.

The researchers have now proposed an experiment that uses a silicon nitride film and a solid-state beryllium mirror to reflect light between two surfaces. When the distance between the two materials is changed, researchers can find out from the reflected light that there are dark photons, because silicon nitride and beryllium have different material properties.

Latest articles

Nepal transports shaligrams to Ayodhya for Ram-Sita idols

Nepal has initiated the transportation of two Shaligram stones to Ayodhya to construct the idols of Ram and Janaki. Once the stones reach Ayodhya, The Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra will create the idols of Ram and Sita. These idols will be placed in the main temple complex at Ayodhya.

St Kitts and Nevis: PM Terrance Drew commits to improvement in National Security, starts several initaives

Dr Terrance Drew, who is also responsible for the Ministry of social security, has reiterated his commitment to prioritizing the safety and security of the nation's people.

Timothy Nwachukwu uses EndSars Summit to advise new Ebonyi Governor

Timothy Nwachukwu has taken to his social media account to share some advice with the incoming governor of Ebonyi State.

Sisi Yemmie shares “So far Vlog” to sum up family life for January

Renowned Nigerian Food Vlogger, content creator and social media influencer, Sisi Yemmie has returned to her YouTube account with a sum up video for the month of January.

Related articles